ThinkPad T21: sio0 detected as 8250 UART

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 6 22:09:03 PDT 2003

On Wednesday,  6 August 2003 at 21:44:01 -0700, James Long wrote:
> Is this correct?  I can't find any specs on the IBM website which
> specify what UART the serial port uses/emulates, but FreeBSD thinks
> its an 8250:
>
> sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

This suggests that it can't find it.  The port is going to be part of
the support chip set.  It's been decades since the serial port was a
chip by itself.

> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio0: type 8250

Strange that it should then report one anyway.  Is the port enabled in
the BIOS?

FWIW, I had a T22 a while back, and I used the serial port
extensively, so there's probably no serious problem.

Greg