ISPs blocking SMTP connections from dynamic IP address space

Nicole nicole at daemontech.com
Wed Aug 6 11:42:01 PDT 2003

 Yes I too have resorted to blocking Ip's with no reverse DNS and its amazing
how many big companies can fall into this.

 As to the Dynamic Space, I also block DSL/dynamicly assigned Ip's as I fall
aware of them. (See Example below) Since some Isp's are smart enough to identify
their dynamicly allocated space it makes it easy.  So far it is extreemly rare
for someone to be sending mail directly from these DSL/dynamic spaces that
anyone wanted to recieve.

 # DSL Space
cust.uslec.net                  550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
ogw.rr.com                      550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
cable.ntl.com                   550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
dsl-verizon.net                 550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
da103-t5dial.ccglobalnet.com    550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
dsl.austtx.swbell.net           550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
cm.vtr.net                      550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
pc-62-30-34-178-pr.blueyonder.co.uk     550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net          550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net          550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net          550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
da.uu.net                       550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)
client.attbi.com                550 NO Mail Accepted From DSL (SPAMMER)

    Nicole

On 06-Aug-03 Unnamed Administration sources reported Bruce Pea said :
> --On Wednesday, August 06, 2003 12:33 PM -0400 Steve Hovey
> <shovey at buffnet.net> wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately, dynamic usually means not a business - which often means
>> spam - and we are all losing hair over the war on spam.
>>
>> I now block ip's with no reverse dns
>

> We are doing this as well. We get a fair number of complaints from people
> who's mail doesn't get delivered but we tell them to fix their DNS so we
> know someone isn't trying to spoof us. So far, 23 out of 25 organizations
> complaining have fixed their DNS.
>
> bp

                     |\ __ /|   (`\
                     | o_o  |__  ) )
                    //      \\
 -  nicole at daemontech.com  -  Powered by FreeBSD  -
 " Daemons" will now be known as "spiritual guides"
-Politically Correct UNIX Page

"Witchcraft is in essence the worship of the powers of this world,
 beautiful and terrible, but all in a circle under the turning sky
 that is the One."     -C.A. Burland, "Echoes of Magic"

"Connecting with energy is something humans have to be open
 to and talking about and expecting,  otherwise the whole human
 race can go back to pretending that life is about power over others
 and exploiting the planet.  If we go back to doing this,
 then we won't survive."      -James Redfield, "The Celestine Prophecy"