Configuring a Kernel (doubts)

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Wed Aug 6 10:18:22 PDT 2003

"Paredes Sánchez Martín A." <MPAREDES at telmex.com> writes:

> When installing FreeBSD, in the "Kernel Configuration Menu" I select the
> full-screen visual mode because I want to disable all the SCSI
> controllers (only have IDE drives) and the PC-card controller (it is not
> a lap top).
>
> am I building a new kernel?, so the next reboot I have the same
> configuration.

No, you're not.  You could do that if you wanted, so that the unused
drivers would not be in the kernel at all, but it doesn't matter much.

> What files are modified? Since I don't see this changes reflected in
> /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC

You're not modifying the kernel itself; you're configuring the one you
already have.  If you do this through the system install, the changes
should get saved to /boot/kernel.conf.

> As you can see, I want a personalized kernel, also want this PC to have
> X-Windows and the ability to be upgraded.

I don't think you really need a personalized kernel, although it might
save a bit of wasted RAM.  Running X and upgrading should be
unaffected either way.

> The question is:
>
> Do I need to install kernel sources or full sources?

For an upgrade, you need full sources.  For a customized kernel, you
need the kernel (system) sources.  To disable the devices mentioned,
you don't need either.  And to make matters even simpler, you probably
don't even need to configure your kernel -- it will probably work fine
as it comes right out of the install.