ISPs blocking SMTP connections from dynamic IP address space

Michael K. Smith mksmith at noanet.net
Wed Aug 6 09:29:20 PDT 2003

On 8/6/03 9:19 AM, "Doug Poland" <doug at polands.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This isn't so much a FreeBSD topic but a comment and a request for resources.
> As a long
> time FreeBSD admin/user I know this is a large, diverse, and eloquent
> community of
> technical users.  I hope someone can point me to a resource or group of users
> that
> address this policy.
>
> Within the last two months both AOL and Time Warner Road Runner have
> implemented port 25
> blocks from hosts with IP addresses in the "dynamic address space".  Time
> Warner claims
> other major ISPs are/will be implementing the same policy.
>
> I support several smaller organizations computer infrastructures.  The server
> backbone
> in all these orgs is FreeBSD and they all have SMTP servers with IP addresses
> in the
> "dynamic" space.  More of our outgoing mail is starting to bounce as these
> ISPs bring
> these new policies online.
>
> Is anyone else uneasy with this trend?  Maybe it's just me and I don't like
> being
> discriminated against because I don't have the money to own static IP
> addresses.  One
> would think groups of responsible and technically competent users would be
> organizing
> against this trend and attempting to make their voice heard.
>
> A little help here?

What is the "dynamic address space"?  Do you mean RFC 1918 space such as
10.0.0.0/8?  Or, are you referring to addresses in what is commonly referred
to as "the swamp," comprised of pre-CIDR allocations of addresses?

Mike
--
Michael K. Smith          NoaNet
206.219.7116 (work)       206.579.8360 (cell)