Frontpage perils

Nick Rogness nick at rogness.net
Wed Aug 6 08:25:33 PDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Mark wrote:

[SNIP]
> No errors reported, and it seems to have installed just fine; it says I
> have a valid httpd, and httpd.conf has been changed to contain these two
> lines:
>
> LoadModule frontpage_module   libexec/apache/mod_frontpage.so
> AddModule mod_frontpage.c
>
> And those files exist in the right place. All as expected. Then I try
> and start the httpd daemon:

> asarian-host: {root} % /usr/local/sbin/httpd -DSSL
> Syntax error on line 5 of /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'FrontPageEnable', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
> module not included in the server configuration
>
> Eh? "FrontPageEnable" should be available when mod_frontpage has loaded. And
> mod_ssl, in case you wondered, works fine by itself. And, unfortunately,
> /var/log/httpd-error.log has no error-messages for this occasion.
>
> So, what am I missing again? "suexec" (which I believe is mandatory), is
> compiled in too:

> asarian-host: {root} % /usr/local/sbin/httpd -l
> Compiled-in modules:
>   http_core.c
>   mod_so.c
> suexec: enabled; valid wrapper /usr/local/sbin/suexec
>
> If you have any suggestions left, I will gladly hear them. :) Thanks!

	Make sure the mod_fronpage directives aren't surrounded by some
	<IfDefine> blocks that aren't being loaded.

	Line #5 is where the error is?  What does your httpd.conf file
	look like?  I'm not sure about ordering but I would move
	any Frontpage stuff to the bottom of your file after the
	Load/AddModule directives.  Don't know for sure if httpd.conf gets
	processed in a linear fashion or not.

	BTW, you should be using apachectl to start/stop/restart httpd.
	'apachectl startssl' (Not that it matters much).

Nick Rogness <nick at rogness.net>
-
  How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.
  				-Emo Philips