dri falling back to software in 4.8-stable

lreid at okstate.edu lreid at okstate.edu
Mon Aug 4 16:02:09 PDT 2003

[CC'd for anyone who may need this resolution]

Hi Carl,
  Yes, I actually did determine the resolution to the problem. Since I had been running the system since 4.7-release, I used the drm-kmod package in the ports tree to get the DRI support. An undocumented (as far as I can tell) change from 4.7-stable to 4.8-stable includes the drm kernel module in the kernel module sources, and the drm-kmod port is depricated. If you remove the drm-kmod startup script from /usr/local/etc/rc.d, optionaly pkg_delete the drm-kmod package, and rebuild your kernel with options drm and agp added, you should have hardware support upon loading the new kernel. I've browsed through the UPDATING file from my last source update and I've found no mention of this change between 4.7-release and 4.8-release. Does anyone know why? (my being dense is a perfectly valid reason)

-Reid