Xdm and the XDMPC CHooser.. How?

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Fri Aug 1 14:38:20 PDT 2003

What I wan tis relatively simple.
however I can't seem to get it quite right..

I have 4 machines that can run X clients and sessions
I have one machine that has an X server.

I would like to have XDM throw up a chooser menu that contains all 5
machines.

I can get the 4 machines, but the 5th
says "unwilling".

OR with a change of Xaccess I can get the single machine...

ok... examples with 1 possible client machine and one Xserver machine
scenario 1
on client.. Xaccess:

 --
   *
 --

xdm_config:
----

on server:
 Xaccess:

---
 * CHOOSER localhost client
---

Xservers:
----
  empty file
----

Xdm running

xdm_config:
----
!DisplayManager.requestPort:    0
----

Result:
If I type

  X -indirect localhost

I get a menu of machines..
'client'
'localhost'

localhost says "not willing to [rest truncated on window]"
client says it is available.

If I click on client.. nothing happens
ditto for localhost.

----------

Scenareo 2
change the local Xaccess to show:

'*'

if I do:
X -indirect localhost
I get a blank X server display

if I do:
X -query localhost

I get the regular xdm screen and everything works as normal, except
that I never get the oportunity to start a session to another machine.

I know I've seen this working once... but it wasn;tme that set it up...

Anyone have xdm clues?

julian