FreeBSD behind a PROXY and unnatural Proxy Ports settings in our LAN

Rommel B. Ikeda r_ikeda at oisca.org
Fri Aug 1 01:12:31 PDT 2003

Hi to Everyone...

First of all I am a NEWBIE to FreeBSD and UNIX...

Second, since I successfully had the courage in sending my first Email to freebsd-newbies at FreeBSD.org, I have been in constant contact we people who have been trying to help me to solve my problem(s)...and I am very thankful for those people, especially to Jonathan <j.e.drews at worldnet.att.net> and Aaron Siegel <aaron-siegel at bresnan.net> My probelms are too many of them that I can no longer ask them to help me, for I think I would be being selfish and too much...so, I have finally decided to write to this community again for HELP...

I am using my IBM R40e Thinkpad in our office and I am the only one using FreeBSD...The main problem (forgive me I am just assuming the it is the main problem) that I have right now...is that our HTTP Port is set to 10080, FTP Port is set to 10021, POP3 Port is set 10026, SMTP is set to 10111...In using a Web Browser such as Mozilla...I just set my HTTP, FTP, and others in the Preferences...and everything is O.K., about my Emails (I am using Sylpheed), I just set my POP3 to 192.168.1.5.:10026 and SMTP to 192.168.1.5:10111 and everything is O.K.

The problem is I am trying to install Ports that I really needed and it seems that I does not work when THOSE PORTS NEEDED TO BE DOWNLOADED USES FTP...How can I set things or my system that our Proxy Server is not using the default Port Settings...How can I let my system and those programs needed to run to downloaded Ports know that our Proxy Server has HTTP Port set to 10080 and FTP Port set to 10021.  For example, how can I configure "cvsup-without-gui" to use the following settings above...

Any advice and help is really needed...
Please do not get me wrong the people who have been helping are really serious in solving my problem and I am very grateful for it...its just that, when they solve problems that I have, another thing comes up and then another thing...and I think it is all related to the problem that I wrote above...

Thank you...

Rommel B. Ikeda
OISCA-International W.H.Q
Tokyo, Japan

P.S.
I do know that there is a FreeBSD Handbook, and I can search the internet to find solutions....but if anyone could only point me to the right direction about this then I would go and read whatever there is.