Dual boot with windows xp and freebsd

Jud judmarc at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 30 17:34:36 PDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:03:38 -0400 (EDT), Jerry McAllister
<jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:

>> On Wednesday 30 April 2003 23:28, 1 at bendcable.com wrote:
>> > I would like to setup a partition on my Toshiba laptop to put FreeBSD
>> > on.  I currently have windows xp that I would like to keep. How can I
>> > dual boot with FreeBSD without loosing windows xp?
[snip]
> If you do not have a slice (MS partition) already made to hold
> the FreeBSD install and the XP slice uses up all of the current
> disk space (minus what the hardware vendor leaves for diagnostics, etc),
> you will need to use a utililty to squeeze the MS-XP slice down to make
> room for it.   I have successfully used Partition Magic.  There
> are others.   Partition Magic is not free, but it is not expensive and
> is available in stores such as Best Buy and online retailers.  It has the
> advantage of being able to handle NTFS type disk systems that like
> to come with XP and Win2K which some of the others and especially
> freeware
> ones do not know how to handle yet.
[snip]

BootItNG is a shareware alternative at half the price or free (depending on
whether you want to keep it past the 30-day trial).  Far from having
trouble with NTFS, during my year of experience with it, it has been both
easier to use and more reliable than Partition Magic.

Jud