Sincronize /etc/passwd and /etc/yp/passwd.master

Ângelo Rodrigues amr at fccn.pt
Tue Apr 29 03:06:27 PDT 2003

On Monday 28 April 2003 17:39, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Apr 28), ^Angelo Rodrigues said:

> > > You can selectively override part of a NIS password database entry
> > > by using NIS magic tokens in the local passwd file --- see
> > > passwd(5). For instance, user 'fred' might have home directory
> > > /home/fred in the NIS database, but you can override that in a
> > > client machine to /users/fred by putting:
> > >
> > >     +fred::::::::/users/fred:
> > >
> > > into /etc/master.passwd on the client.  All of the other fields are
> > > inherited from the NIS database.
> >
> > This could be a solution :)
>
> Standardizing the name of the homedir would make your job a lot easier.
> Can you make symlinks in /home so that every user whose homedir is in
> /homeapp can use /home/user also?  Then the user's home is
> "/home/user" no matter what machine he logs into.

But there's still a little problem... As the /var/yp/master.passwd is a
softlink to /etc/master.passwd, the server's root user will be the same
in the client so, the client won't have any local user. This can cause
some series problems when the network is down. The client machine
should have at least some local users to avoid this kind of problem.

Regards,

Ângelo Rodrigues - amr at fccn.pt
FCCN - Fundação para a Computação Científica Nacional
Av. Brasil, 101  1700-066 Lisboa - Portugal
Tel: +351 218440100   Fax: +351 218472167