extract IP address and feed it into a command

DJ Boris dj_boris at mail.ru
Tue Apr 29 02:08:38 PDT 2003

hi guys,

I would like to thank you for all your help... you pointed me in the right
direction. here is what worked for me:

ifconfig tun0 | grep xxx.x | cut -d " " -f2
ifconfig tun0 | grep xxx.x | awk '/inet/ {print $2}'
ifconfig tun0 | grep xxx.x | awk '{print $2}'

xxx.x - this is the first part of my IP. it always starts with that xxx.x
number. grep gets it from the ifconfig and then all it takes is string
munching...

AND AGAIN - THANK YOU VERY MUCH

dj boris