Intel Storage Station questions

Steve Smith s.w.smith at usa.net
Mon Apr 28 21:50:48 PDT 2003

I purchased an Intel Storage Station which is a Network Attached Storage file server that runs on FreeBSD. See
http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/ib072099.htm and http://support.intel.com/support/inbusiness/storagestation/index.htm. The device is managed remotely through a web browser on a client computer. Users do not interact directly with FreeBSD or even know that FreeBSD is the OS. The device contains two hard drives and the web interface allows the user to setup the two drives as one volume or as two separate drives or as one mirrored drive. The user can also manage users and groups and set permissions. I have a few questions:

How can I clone or ghost these FreeBSD hard drives? I hooked the drives up to a PC and tried Ghost 2003, but I received error messages that said bad blocks had been encountered. Does this mean the hard drive has problems or is Ghost 2003 incompatible with FreeBSD?

I'm having trouble setting file permissions. I'm using Windows 2000 and XP clients. This Intel device pre-dates Windows 2K and XP and I'm wondering if my problems are due compatibility with XP and 2k. Is it possible that this version FreeBSD allows file permissions to work with correctly Windows 95 and 98 clients but not 2k or XP? If so, can I update FreeBSD on this device?

Thank you,
Steve Smith