ImageMagick

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at dsl-only.net
Mon Apr 28 13:05:16 PDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:51:08PM +0200, Arno Mittelbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > How are you trying to extract it?  What is the exact command you are
> > issuing?
>
> the exact commands were:
>   - gunzip ImageMagick.tar.gz
>   - gzip -dc ImageMagick.tar.gz| tar xvf - -C ImageMagick
>   - tar xzvf ImageMagick.tar.gz
>
> I had the same problem with all of them.
>
> > Also, unless you are just curious about what is located in the
> > package there is really no need to extract it.  I usually compile from
> > ports, but last time I checked the pkg_add(1) utility works directly on
> > the compressed package file.
>
> I installed a binary first, which didn't work. Then someone gave me the hint
> that i should try and compile the ports ImageMagick.
>
> Regards,
> Arno Mittelbach

Hmmm....your commands look ok to me.  My only guess would be that the
file is corrupt.  Did you download it via FTP?  If so, maybe you
downloaded it in ascii mode instead of binary mode?

Also, a port doesn't work with a packaged archive - the port uses
compressed source files.  And again, you don't need to extract the
archive for the ports.  The ports system will do all the necessary
extracting.  Further, with the ports, you don't necessarily have to
fetch the source files yourself unless there is a problem, as the port
will try to fetch the appropriate sources for you if it doesn't find
them in /usr/ports/distfiles.  If you want to install a port (assuming
you have the ports collection installed), then just goto
/usr/ports/<category>/<portname> and type 'make install [clean]'.

Nathan
--
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C