Sincronize /etc/passwd and /etc/yp/passwd.master

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 09:22:33 PDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 05:06:36PM +0000, Ângelo Rodrigues wrote:
> On Monday 28 April 2003 15:48, Dan Nelson wrote:

> > > Hmmm...but this will force the same home directory between the server
> > > and the client.
> >
> > You want the same password; why wouldn't you want the same homedir and
> > shell also?  All our NIS users have their homedir set to
> > /net/homedirmachine/home/username.
>
> But my server users are distributed betwen /home and /homeapp and
> this method will force the same thing in the clients.

You can selectively override part of a NIS password database entry by
using NIS magic tokens in the local passwd file --- see passwd(5).
For instance, user 'fred' might have home directory /home/fred in the
NIS database, but you can override that in a client machine to
/users/fred by putting:

    +fred::::::::/users/fred:

into /etc/master.passwd on the client.  All of the other fields are
inherited from the NIS database.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way