new hard drive, new problems, possibly related to 16383 cylinder spec

Ross Lippert ripper at eskimo.com
Sun Apr 27 14:52:24 PDT 2003

Hi,

We installed a new harddrive over here.  The first sign something was screwy
was when the FBSD (4.8) installed said "this drive has 74123 [some number
about there] cylinders and that is impossible!  Please specify the geometry
manually" (well I didn't write the message down, so that's more of a
paraphrase ofit).

After reading up on the fact that larger than 8GB drives (the new one is
40GB) will report 16383x16x63 as the geometry, it seemed to me like this drive
was slightly violating this spec and reporting its true cylinder count.  So
we manually set the geom to 16383x16x63 and proceeded merrily along.

The install went off fine otherwise.

The first boot went fine, and we did the usual stuff, cvsup, rebuild kernel,
recover homedirs from backups and so on.

Second boot gives a lot of trouble on the fsck.  All the partitions come
up with /dev/ad0s1[aefg]: FILESYSTEM CLEAN SKIPPING CHECKS,
which I guess is odd because we had modified the filesystem quite a bit,
and then the show-stopper:
/dev/ad0s1d: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY, RUN fsck MANUALLY.
The above happens to be /var for what that's worth.

So we take the shell and do a manual fsck and are told:
CANNOT READ BLK 16
CONTINUE? y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 16, 17, ..., 31
/dev/ad0s1d: NOT LABELLED AS A BSD FILESYSTEM (unused)

What the heck just happened and how do we fix it?

-r