smart_host not working, sendmail trying to relay immediately

DJ Boris dj_boris at mail.ru
Sun Apr 27 11:22:50 PDT 2003

hi there,

I am VERY stuck. I have been trying to get this smart_host to work on my
fBSD 4.7 but nothing seems to work. I have a dial-up link and I want
sendmail to do mail transfer only when the link is up and from a cron job.
here is my .mc
===========================
VERSIONID(`$FreeBSD: src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc,v 1.10.2.16 2002/05/22
16:39:14
 gshapiro Exp $')
OSTYPE(freebsd4)

FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(local_lmtp)

define(`SMART_HOST', `smarthost.com')

MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)
=============================

unfortunately if I run sendmail -bp here is what I get
================================
-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-------
----
h3RHQn8p000219        2 Sun Apr 27 17:26 <xxxx at xxxxx.com>
                 (host map: lookup (yahoo.com): deferred)
                                         <xxxxx at yahoo.com>
                Total requests: 1
================================

it is trying to lookup yahoo.com and not send it through my smarthost.com -
why? what am I doing wrong?

and also when I send mail to the server it immediately tries to relay the
message and my MUA hangs - why? how can I get sendmail to put everything in
the queue and wait for a command in order to deliver the msgs to the
smarthost.com?

I have remove all -q from the sendmail flags in my rc.conf
sendmail_enable="yes"
sendmail_flags="-L sm-mta -bd"