IPSec, Racoon, and roaming clients

Paul Lathrop plathrop at mqtweb.com
Sat Apr 26 12:59:05 PDT 2003

I have recently been asked to implement VPN access for some of our
roaming employees. Our gateway is a FreeBSD 4.7 box that I administer.
Our employees are all on cablemodem connections when they are out and
about. I have discovered IPSec and racoon, of course, and dug through
their documentation. I have also read several very good tutorials on
the web. The trouble I am having is that all the information I can find
is for setting up a VPN tunnel between two gateways. What I need is a
VPN connection between a roaming host (with a dynamic IP) and our VPN
gateway (static IP) which will allow access to the internal network
behind that gateway (private IP addresses). I have successfully
established the VPN connection between a roaming host and the gateway,
but without access to the internal network. I can't seem to figure out
how to tell setkey to configure a tunnel into the network without
knowing ahead of time what the client's IP will be.

Can anybody give me some pointers?

Thanks,
Paul D. Lathrop