Problems setting up dual-boot

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Sat Apr 26 08:20:12 PDT 2003

On 26 Apr Adam wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 16:00, Hyunseog Ryu @ Norlight wrote:
> > Install w2k on hd0 first, but leave a little bit of room.
> > Then install fbsd on hd0 and hd2.
> > You can install / partition on hd0, and rest of partitions to hd2.
>
> I agree that this would work. However, this would require many more
> hours than I'm currently willing to invest in this. Surely there is a
> way to dual-boot across different physical disks without too much pain.
> I just haven't figured out how to do it yet ...

I have Win-XP on the first and FreeBSD on the second harddisk.
What I did was "boot0cfg -b boot0 hd0" PLUS the same for hd1. That way
you get a double F1 / F5 menu (one on each disk). It's not nice but the
PRE is you can always correct your mistake if you choose F5 (while
instead you wanted to choose F1. You can kind of switch between the
harddisks.

It works great ;-))

--
dick -- http://www.nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.8 ++ Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)