tar FBSD disk clone

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at northnetworks.ca
Sat Apr 26 06:00:08 PDT 2003

> > I have found multiple articles on the web regarding ways to 'clone' ones
> > FreeBSD disk.
> >
> > I opted for the tar method, so I could cut pieces out I did not want
> > before cloning.
> >
> > When all was said and done, I manually fdisk'ed the new drive, labelled
> > it, and mounted it into the existing FS. I then:
>
> [...]
>
> > Upon reboot, I get:
> >
> > Invalid Partition
> > Invalid Partition
> > No /boot/loader
>
> Read the disklabel(8) man page, specifically "Installing bootstraps". I
> think you need to "disklabel -B ad0s1" (use the appropriate disk device
> and slice).

As a matter of fact, I used #/stand/sysinstall to create my partition on
the disk, and I just used the 's' option to make it bootable. Then I read
the disklabel(8) man page, and found out how simple it really was to use.
I did not use the -B option, becuase I already made the disk bootable with
sysinstall.

After I cut up the slice using disklabel, I did a #newfs ad0s1x to all new
areas, extracted the tar's onto the new disk, pulled the disk out and put
it into a new machine and away it went!

I have since done the same procedure (cloning an entire production box)
without taking the original box offline!

Works great!

Steve