How To Repair Vinum Subdisk?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 25 17:46:28 PDT 2003

On Friday, 25 April 2003 at  5:50:58 -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>> On Thursday, 24 April 2003 at 17:12:28 -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>>> I recently added a new drive to a concatenated plex in vinum on a
>>> 4.8-RELEASE machine.  I edited the disklabel to type 'vinum' and then
>>> defined the drive as a subdisk in the plex.  The vinum 'list' command showed
>>> everything up and running so I used growfs to expand the file system.
>>> Everything appeared to finish OK.
>>>
>>> However upon my first reboot of the system, the vinum volume won't mount and
>>> the newly added subdisk shows a state of 'crashed'.  If I stop and restart
>>> the subdisk, then it shows a state of 'up' but the volume still won't mount
>>> as it is 'dirty' and needs to be fsck'ed.  But when I fsck the volume, the
>>> system core dumps on a signal 6.
>>>
>>> This particular volume consists of 3 80GB IDE drives.  The first two drives
>>> I've had running successfully in the machine for about a year.  Then when
>>> the volume filled, I bought an additional drive, put it in a firewire
>>> enclosure (I was out of space in the machine case), made the necessary mods
>>> to the kernel, and then plugged the drive into the machine.  Because I
>>> haven't added any additional data to the volume, there is nothing on the new
>>> subdisk to lose but I do want to preserve the data on the first two
>>> subdisks.  I also mention the firewire in case it makes a difference.
>
> It is the 'ftp' volume I am having trouble with.  I checked
> /var/log/messages but there is nothing other than the dmesg output
> that gets written on boot.

That's strange.  Are you sure you have syslogd running?  In this case
I'd expect that you'd get a message from the SCSI driver.

> I also don't have a vinum dump as it is fsck that crashes the kernel
> when run on this volume.  Please let me know if you need anything
> else.

Well, if  you get a kernel crash,  you should take a  dump.  But let's
investigate other things first.

> vinum -> list
> 8 drives:
> D ftp2                  State: referenced       Device  Avail: 0/0 MB

This means that you've referred to a non-existent drive, in fact here:

> 13 Apr 2003 14:47:15.645795 create -f /home/tomlinson_dr/ftp2.conf
> drive ftp2 device /dev/da2s1h
> subdisk length 0 plex ftp.p0 drive ftp2

You can do this and add the drive later.  That's why it isn't an
error.  But you need the drive somewhere.  Otherwise you get:

> S ftp.p0.s2             State: crashed  PO:      149 GB Size:         74 GB

That in turn gives you:

> 2 plexes:
> P ftp.p0              C State: corrupt  Subdisks:     3 Size:        223 GB

Greg