Time Problem in 5.0

K Anderson freebsduser at attbi.com
Fri Apr 25 14:05:17 PDT 2003

Lord Sith wrote:
>> From: Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com>
>> To: Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com>
>> CC: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: Time Problem in 5.0
>> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:54:06 -0400
>>
>> Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>>> So?  That's a significantly different version.
>>>
>>> Are you *sure* you want to be running 5.0?  It doesn't sound like
>>> you're much of a debugger yourself, and it's not
>>> as though 5.x is recommended for anybody else yet...
>>

>> I'm going to repeat myself here:
>> ntpdate is depreciated.  The functionality in it is duplicated by ntpd.
>> It shouldn't even be in the 5.0 tree.  I'm considering filing a pr to
>> request that it be removed.  Opinions?
>>
>> --
>> Bill Moran
>> Potential Technologies
>> http://www.potentialtech.com

 > I'm not excited about the prospect of having another daemon running with
 > root priveldges on a known port for something that only needs to be run
 > maybe two or three times a day.

 From ntpd's man page -
      In some cases it may not be practical for ntpd to run
continuously. A common workaround has been to run the ntpdate(8) program
from a cron(8) job at designated times.  However, this program does not
have the crafted signal processing, error checking and mitigation
algorithms of ntpd.  The -q option is intended for this purpose.
Setting this option will cause ntpd to exit just after setting the clock
for the first time.  The proce-dure for initially setting the clock is
the same as in continuous mode; most applications will probably want to
specify the iburst keyword with the server configuration command.  With
this keyword a volley of messages are exchanged to groom the data and
the clock is set in about a minute. If nothing is heard after a couple
of minutes, the daemon times out and exits.  After a suitable period of
mourning, the ntpdate(8) program may be retired.

There's more, so take a look at it. And if  you're worried about an open
port while ntpd is doing it's thing then create a firewall rule to block
incoming requests or determine how you can get ntpd to listen only on
localhost or something.

Problem solved.