upping MBUFS even though netstat -m says PEAK is low ?

Richard Shea rshea at thecubagroup.com
Fri Apr 25 02:21:18 PDT 2003

Hi - I often get the message "Missed packet -- no receive buffer"
appearing on the console. I have read around and some people advise
fixing this by changing the value of  MBUFS.

Before I do that I wanted to check something out. When I do netstat -
m at
the time I'm getting these messages on the screen I see ...

10/48/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        8 mbufs allocated to data
        2 mbufs allocated to packet headers
2/28/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
68 Kbytes allocated to network (2% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

... now does the fact that the peak value of mbufs is only 48 means
that
changing MBUFS max is hardly likely to do away with this problem ?

BTW strange aspect of this - I'm pretty sure the only time this error
occurs is when a W2000 box is running backup and writing the backup
file
to a Samba share on the FBSD box. In truth the FBSD box does not
normally
get intensively used across the network for any other reason and so
this
may not be significant but I thought I would mention it ...

Regards

richard.