Vinum in FreeBSD 4.x branch

Duncan Young duncan.young at pobox.com
Thu Apr 24 08:32:45 PDT 2003

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:30:14AM +0100, Duncan Young wrote:
>> Remember this is supposed to be in a corporate environment where
>> "failure is
>> not an option".  Getting vinum to set up root disks is "fiddly" and
>> whomever
>> will support the box tomorrow, may not be as compentent as whomever sets
>> it
>> up today.  When things go wrong, the simplest setup is best.
>
> I have a different viewpoint: if this is supposed to be in a corporate
> environment, don't set up up the less competent folks for failure by
> having them inherit a system that they're not capable of supporting.
> This is a staffing issue, not a technical issue.

I'm not sure that your viewpoint is different to mine.  I'm just making
allowances for the failures of management/staffing. One should look at the
whole problem, not just the short term techincal aspects.  I feel long
term maintenance should be considered.  Assuming that the whole site isn't
BSD, then vinum is a "special case" which no-one except FreeBSD people
will have had experienc with (and even then, not that many).  So in
considering its use I feel that this should be taken into acount.

Duncan