100BASE

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Apr 24 08:00:28 PDT 2003

dick hoogendijk wrote:
> Today I changed from a 10baseT hub to a 100Mbps switch; changed the
> connectors and expected a fast ethernet home network.
> Wrong! The only ethernet card that changed to 100Mbps is the one in the
> machine of my son, running on windows98 :-?
>
> My linux server, the OS-X-10.2.5 (iMac) and the FreeBSD machine stayed
> on 10Mbps. What's wrong here? Why do the card not autonegotiate the
> right speed? What need I set and where to get the full speed of my
> ethernetcards???

Are you sure the cards support 100mb/sec?  Please provide the model of
the network card installed in the FreeBSD machine.

Also, are you sure the wiring is up to the task?  If the wiring is
substandard, cards will often negiotiate at a slower speed instead of
not working at all.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies