tar FBSD disk clone

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at northnetworks.ca
Wed Apr 23 11:56:08 PDT 2003

I have found multiple articles on the web regarding ways to 'clone' ones
FreeBSD disk.

I opted for the tar method, so I could cut pieces out I did not want
before cloning.

When all was said and done, I manually fdisk'ed the new drive, labelled
it, and mounted it into the existing FS. I then:

# tar -clfar clf - -C / . | tar xpvf - -C /mnt

I also did the same with my other partitions, usr, var, home. I ensured
that the mount points were the same in both fstab's, and proceeded to
remove the original IDE disk from ad0 and relocate the clone ad3 to ad0.

Upon reboot, I get:

Invalid Partition
Invalid Partition
No /boot/loader

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
Invalid partition
No /kernel

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot: _cursor_

All indications on the web indicate that this should be an immediate boot
once the drives are switched. I have tried all manor of drive
configurations and still the same. I am ready to hit myself in the head
with a hammer as I have wasted all day trying.

Any help whatsoever is hugely appreciated.

Tks.

Steve