BTX changes

Paredes Sánchez Martín A. MPAREDES at telmex.com
Tue Apr 22 16:46:05 PDT 2003

I see that you are progressing with your problem, I want to clarify
something to you, but I am not sure about if I am right because I am new
to FreeBSD too.

In your mail you are talking about 2 different programs BootEasy and BTX
Loader.

BootEasy is the one that give the multiboot facility or bootmanager (the
F1 ??? an F5 ...), this is stored in the MBR of disk 0, because of this,
the size of this program is restricted to 512 bytes. If you have the CD
1 of installation, look in \TOOLS\SRCS\BTEASY, there is a README file
and the sources of this program, the BOOT.ASM is the program that goes
to the MBR, this is done with the BOOTINST program.

If you know assambler, you can modify the BOOT.ASM to boot FreeBSD when
the F5 is pressed.

The BTX is the program in the bootsector of the partition of FreeBSD.
Because of this, it stay in the disk 1 (the second), it can only load
FreeBSD.

-HTH
maps