Adding a new IDE harddrive

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at dsl-only.net
Tue Apr 22 14:39:42 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 01:23:12PM -0700, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 04:10:21PM -0700, Michael A. Alestock wrote:
> > I have a question...I already know how to add a new harddrive to my system,
> > however, what I wanted to know is how do I use the new harddrive's space to
> > add more space to my current filesystem's directories?  Do I have to LINK the
> > new harddrive to the old drive?  How would I go about this process??
> >
> > Thanks!  : )
>
> It's in the FreeBSD FAQ.
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#ADDING-DISKS
>
> Nathan

I apologize, after re-reading your email and then fully looking through
the FAQ to which I directed you, I see that the FAQ in question doesn't
much cover your concern, although it does have a tiny section on moving
a portion of a filesystem to a different disk.  You could do something
akin to what section 4.2 of that faq suggests.  You sould be able to
use that extra space at any place in your current filesystem - and of
course, have it mounted automatically via an entry in /etc/fstab.  As
far as distributing a little of the space across many directories that
currently reside on one filesyste, I don't think this is possible - or
at least not easily accomplished.  As was briefly covered in the faq, I
have had good luck with mounting my new disk (or slice) to a temporary
mount point, then copying the contents of the dir (or filesystem) that I
want to expand to this temp. mount point.  Then delete or backup the
original dir and mount your new disk or slice at the old location.
There may also be some limited cases where growfs(8), but this pertains
to changes on the same physical disk.

Nathan
--
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C