adding second network card

clay spencer freebsdude at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 09:57:07 PDT 2003

No there is no normal dmesg output just a bunch of interupt handlers this happened when I recompiled the kernel. The only changes I made to the kernel config were to remove support for scsi devices since the system has none. So the kernel config is basically the generic. As a test I ran boot /kernel.old from the loader prompt but recieved the same dmesg output as well as vx1 not being found. The output of "ifconfig vx1 up" is: ifconfig: interface vx1 does not exist any ideas?

Volker Kindermann <freebsd at secspace.de> wrote:> Yes i386. On the console during the boot I see that IRQ 9 and 10 have
> been assigned to both my NICS. It is not until during the network
> congig phase that I get the "no such device" error message. Dmesg
> contains the following output: d6_debug RW *Handler Int
> 19 nd6_drlist R *Handler Node
> 20 nd6_prlist R *Handler Node
> 5 debug RW Node
> 282 mddebug RW *Handler Int
> 323 doslowdown RW *Handler Int
> 336 elf32_trace RW *Handler Int
> 338 boothowto R *Handler Int
> 339 bootverbose RW *Handler Int
> 345 free_devt RW *Handler Int
> 347 fdexpand R *Handler Int
> 366 sizeof RW Node

please excuse me, but I'm totaly amazed about this dmesg output. I
expected something like (this is from my 5.0 machine):

xl0: <3Com 3c905C-TX Fast Etherlink XL> port 0xb800-0xb87f mem
0xe0000000-0xe000007f irq 10 at device 10.0 on pci0 xl0: Ethernet
address: 00:01:02:a0:db:09 miibus0: on xl0
xlphy0: <3c905C 10/100 internal PHY> on miibus0
xlphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

don't you get such sort of thing? Of course not with xl0 but with vx0
and vx1 if you type "dmesg"? What is the content of the file
/var/log/dmesg.today?

Does "ifconfig vx1 up" works?

-volker