adding second network card

clay spencer freebsdude at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 08:58:05 PDT 2003

Volker yes sorry that is a typo. If I give the following command: ifconfig vx1 create I will recieve the error: ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument As far as dmesg goes. The only thing that is getting logged is a list of kernel interupts. I see all the other normal startup messages written to console and the 3/4 of the way through I see this big kernel interupt vector list scroll by but this was happening before I added the second care. These are the only things in /var/log/dmesg.today: *Handler Int
    332 g_provider R  *Handler Int
    333 g_consumer R  *Handler Int
    334 g_bioq R  *Handler Int
    335 g_event R  *Handler Int
    371 vnode R  *Handler Int
    372 proc R  *Handler Int
    373 cdev R  *Handler Int
    374 bio R  *Handler Int
    375 buf R  *Handler Int there are @ 900 or so lines containing similar entries this seems to be a seperate problme of course but it is impeding my troubleshooting of the NIC problem. If you have any ideas? Thanks again

Volker Kindermann <freebsd at secspace.de> wrote:> I installed a second 3Com Etherlink 3 card in a new 5.0 FreeBSD box.
> Both of these devices should be using the vortex device I believe(vx0
> vx1 etc.) I have added the following to /etc/rc.conf:
> network_interfaces="lo0 vx0 vx1"ifconfig_vx0="inet 10.0.0.79 netmask
> 255.255.255.0"ifconfig_vx0="inet 10.0.0.80 netmask 255.255.255.0"

I think it's a typo that you use vx0 twice?

> and
> rebooted. On the console during boot I see the error: "ifconfig:
> interface vx1 does not exist"

Is the card recognized in dmesg-output? Please show us the corresponding
dmesg.

-volker