Tape drive problem...

Peter Elsner peter at servplex.com
Tue Apr 22 06:07:04 PDT 2003

Have a new box running 4.7-RELEASE-p10.
It's a Dell with a 20/40 GIG Traven IDE tape drive in it.

When trying to backup to the tape and/or restore from the tape, I get the
following error message:

modice# tar cvf /dev/ast0 *
ast0: REZERO command timeout - resetting
ata2: resetting devices .. done

If there are only 10 or so files in the directory, they do backup and can
be restored, but you still get the
error messages...

If there are more than 10, you get the above error messages, and only the
first 10 (sometimes only 8) files
get backed up.

Anyone seen this before?

Peter

Peter Elsner <peter at servplex.com>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
1835 S. Carrier Parkway
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
(972) 263-2080 - Voice
(972) 263-2082 - Fax
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
(425) 988-8061 - eFax

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry
that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
-- Mike Godwin

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.
System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.
If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me.

Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.