Same old sendmail "loops back to me", not solved with FAQ, etc.

Christopher Nehren apeiron at comcast.net
Sun Apr 20 08:49:38 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 09:48, Konrad Neitzel wrote:
> das "loops back to me" means, that the sendmail thinks, that it must
> send the eMail to another computer and when doing that, he connects to
> himself (directly or over another mailserver).
> The main reason for that is normaly:
> Your computer is resolved for the host, but the mailserver thinks, that
> it isn't responsible for that host.

I know what the message means -- I spent hours going through sendmail
list archives looking for a solution besides "go read the FAQ" (which
I've done, and followed, and reiterated multiple times, to no avail).

> Maybe you just want to give us some more information about your problem.
> To what adress do you send an eMail? What error comes back? Give us the
> configuration of sendmail, ....

I'm trying to send mail from an OpenBSD router on my home network to a
machine on that network. The error message that I get is the typical
"mail loops back to me (MX problem?)". I've set up my service.switch
file to use /etc/hosts instead of trying to use DNS to resolve the host.
Yes, I've read the FAQ, as I stated before. I've followed it. I've
searched mailing list archives for the error message. I think the
webadmin of theaimsgroup.com honestly believes that I'm trying to DoS
their site by now. ;)

Thanks in advance for any help with this.