RESOLVED - Re: Problems with compiling Apache2 on FreeBSD 4.8

Sean O'Neill sean at seanoneill.info
Sat Apr 19 12:53:02 PDT 2003

At 11:38 PM 4/18/2003 -0500, Sean O'Neill wrote:
>My problem isn't getting Apache2 to compile, the problem is how it compiles.
>
>I trying to compile a Apache2 source tree from CVS (this includes apr and
>apr-utils in the srclib directory which were also CVS'd over) so I can
>build a subversion server without have to wait on the ports tree to catch
>up with subversion updates (and not have to wait another 1 million years
>for libtool to be upgraded ... just poking fun !!!!)
>
>I'm using the following to configure it:
>
>./configure --prefix=/home/soneill/i386-FreeBSD
>--with-perl=/usr/bin/perl5.8.0 --enable-so --with-mpm=prefork
>--with-port=8000 --with-expat=/usr/local --enable-dav --enable-v4-mapped
>--with-ssl=/usr --enable-mods-shared="all cgid deflate ext_filter proxy
>proxy-connect proxy-ftp proxy-http ssl"
>
>Basically, straight from the apache2 port with the addition of the
>--enable-dav.  My problem is once the httpd is created, I get this:
>
>$ ./httpd -l
>Compiled in modules:
>   core.c
>   prefork.c
>   http_core.c
>
>Notice mod_so.c doesn't show up.  Well, subversion doesn't like this when
>it pokes at apxs - apparently apxs won't work without mod_so.c showing up
>in this listing.  Why I don't know but I'll take the excuse it won't work
>for now.
>
>Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong to make mod_so.c not show up as a
>compiled in module ?

Well, I figured out how to make this work but I'm not sure WHY it
worked.  When I first checked out Apache2 via CVS, I was unknowingly
checking out the 2.1-dev branch and NOT the 2.0 branch.  When I finally
figured this out (thanks in part to the reply I got back from Philip
Gollucci), I checked out Apache2 like this:

$ cat checkout-apache.ksh
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic login
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic checkout -d
httpd-2.0 -r APACHE_2_0_BRANCH httpd-2.0
cd httpd-2.0/srclib
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic checkout apr apr-util

And then built it like this:

$ cd httpd-2.0
$ make clean
$ ./buildconf
$ ./configure --prefix=/home/soneill/i386-FreeBSD
--with-perl=/usr/bin/perl5.8.0 --with-mpm=prefork --with-port=8000
--with-expat=/usr/local --enable-v4-mapped --with-ssl=/usr
--enable-maintainer-mode --enable-so --enable-mods-shared="all cgid deflate
ext_filter proxy proxy-connect proxy-ftp proxy-http ssl dav"
$ make
$ make install
$ httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.0.46-dev
Server built:   Apr 19 2003 12:34:01
$ httpd -l
Compiled in modules:
   core.c
   prefork.c
   http_core.c
   mod_so.c

Now mod_so.c is showing up like I need (for subversion) and various modules
are shared like I was expecting.

So either something in Apache 2.1-dev apparently isn't quite right yet with
modules or maybe how things work with modules in 2.1-dev is slightly
different then how they work in 2.0.  Not sure which.

--
Sean O'Neill