Problems with compiling Apache2 on FreeBSD 4.8

Sean O'Neill sean at seanoneill.info
Fri Apr 18 21:39:00 PDT 2003

My problem isn't getting Apache2 to compile, the problem is how it compiles.

I trying to compile a Apache2 source tree from CVS (this includes apr and
apr-utils in the srclib directory which were also CVS'd over) so I can
build a subversion server without have to wait on the ports tree to catch
up with subversion updates (and not have to wait another 1 million years
for libtool to be upgraded ... just poking fun !!!!)

I'm using the following to configure it:

./configure --prefix=/home/soneill/i386-FreeBSD
--with-perl=/usr/bin/perl5.8.0 --enable-so --with-mpm=prefork
--with-port=8000 --with-expat=/usr/local --enable-dav --enable-v4-mapped
--with-ssl=/usr --enable-mods-shared="all cgid deflate ext_filter proxy
proxy-connect proxy-ftp proxy-http ssl"

Basically, straight from the apache2 port with the addition of the
--enable-dav.  My problem is once the httpd is created, I get this:

$ ./httpd -l
Compiled in modules:
   core.c
   prefork.c
   http_core.c

Notice mod_so.c doesn't show up.  Well, subversion doesn't like this when
it pokes at apxs - apparently apxs won't work without mod_so.c showing up
in this listing.  Why I don't know but I'll take the excuse it won't work
for now.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong to make mod_so.c not show up as a
compiled in module ?

I've tried several different combinations of the configure script thinking
something might work.  The only way I got mod_so.c to show up was to
basically remove all the --enable-<whatever> switches.

Thanks in advance.

--
Sean O'Neill