cdrom - device not configured error

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Fri Apr 18 18:59:15 PDT 2003

Michelle Weeks <tristan11 at mindspring.com> writes:

> >> nothing.
> >
> > Just to be sure; try it as
> >     grep "cd" /var/run/dmesg.boot
>
> o.k. tried that and here's what i get:
> acd0: CDROM <LG CD-ROM CRD-8484B> at ata0-master PIO4

Okay, so the device was detected at boot.

The fact that the control device isn't being found makes me think it
isn't there at all.  I'm assuming that you're running a moderately
recent 4.x OS -- do you *have* a /dev/ata?  If not, what happens when
you rebuild it?  If so, what does its directory listing look like?