net package

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Apr 18 13:28:22 PDT 2003

D and D H wrote:
> Hi,
>   i'm dowloading freebsd 4.8 and have downloaded the bin directory.

Did you mean iso image?

> would like dialup and tcpip functionality, assuming this is in the net
> sub directory of the package directory on the ftp site, what do i need
> in the net directory to get this extra stuff.  do i have to download
> everything in the net directory?  i want the simplest installation
> possible.  thanks

If you downloaded an iso image, you should create a CD from it an boot
off it to install.

Otherwise, I would recommend downloading the floppy images and booting
from floppy.  Once the installation starts, you can tell it to dial out
to get the required files and to do a minimal installation.  Dialup and
basic tcp/ip services are included in the minimal installation.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies