Strange network traffic??

V.M.Smith vmsmith at grokking.org
Fri Apr 18 04:23:11 PDT 2003

AFAIK OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) is a protocol used by routers for
determining optimal pathways through the network. The frequency suggests
router advertisements: "I'm here and I route traffic to network
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx". I think OSPF uses multicast (and older RIP uses
ICMP??) Capturing and analyzing the packet headers would probably clear
up the mystery rather quickly.

I leave it to more knowledgeable list members to explain more and/or
correct my ignorance :)

Cheers,

VS