CVS permission problem on NFS partition

Matthias Szupryczynski silk_worm at gmx.net
Fri Apr 18 02:27:35 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 02:21, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 18:43, Matthias Szupryczynski wrote:
> > Sorry if this is a repost, I had some problems with my mail account
> > yesterday and did not see my mail on the list, so here it comes again.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I apologize if this is a bit offtopic as it is not entirely
> > FreeBSD-specific, but I did not know where to post otherwise. If anybody
> > knows a list more suitable for this question, please tell me.
> >
> > The scenario:
> >
> > I am running a FreeBSD 5.0 p7 release box with a more or less GENERIC
> > kernel (took out scsi and ipv6) During booting, the system mounts three
> > nfs partitions from the my local fileserver (which happens to be a
> > debian 3.0 box, 2.4.18 kernel).
> >
> > The corresponding fstab entries are:
> >
> > gate.lindenstrasse:/home/silk/lan /home/silk/lan nfs rw,-r=1024 0 0
> > gate.lindenstrasse:/var/www/public /home/silk/www nfs rw,-r=1024 0 0
> > gate.lindenstrasse:/samba/public /home/silk/public nfs rw,-r=1024 0 0
> >
> > Since I am not running nis, I synchronized the uid's for my working
> > account on both machines manually and changed ownership to the
> > directories in question accordingly.
> >

> Are you aware that root and any other uid=0 permissions do not, by default,
> take effect accross an nfs mount.
>
> The root permission transfer can however be enabled in /etc/exports
> Take a look at exports(5)

Hi Malcolm,

yes, I tried that already. The funny thing is that I was able to do
everything I wanted on the nfs mount as root or with root permissions
except getting cvs to work without errors. I also changed every
permission setting in the working directory located on the nfs mount to
777 to be sure. Same error. Having a mystery at hand here ;)

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

Matt