/stand (again) puzzle

taxman taxman at acd.net
Thu Apr 17 12:53:19 PDT 2003

On Thursday 17 April 2003 02:33 pm, $êrêciya Kurdistanî wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Di Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 07:27:33PM +0200 da dick hoogendijk nivîsand:
> > I'm so puzzled that I did it all over again last night:
> > # shutdown now
> > # cd /usr/obj
> > # chflags -R noschg *
>
>   Why are you messing with "chflags"?  You really shouldn't even
>   have to touch that, in fact, I'm betting this is precisely one

becuase that is the instructions given in the handbook.  I just checked, and
surprisingly schg was not set at all on my obj tree at all.

>   of the things that's causing a problem for you; try *without*
>   the "chflags".

it is highly unlikely that unsetting the immutable bit on his obj tree would
cause any problems

> > # rm -rf *
> > # cd /usr/src
> > # make buildworld
> > # skip new kernel; I have a 4.8 one already
> > # make installworld
> > # skip mergemaster; did run it last time to update /etc
> > # *** notice this: ***
> > # cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall
> > # make all install
>
>   [...snip...]
>
> > I really have NO IDEA whatsoever how to get a "fresh" /stand directory
> > with not only sysinstall refreshed, but all other "2175016 Oct 9" things
> > too. What am I missing???
>
>   Try updating again.

this is also unlikley to do anything.  He just did that.
Actually the question of updating /stand has come up a couple times lately and
I haven't seen an answer.  I just checked mine and
Apr 21  2001 sysinstall
surprised the heck out of me,  I've done many buildworld/installworld's since
then and i always thought rebuilding stand was part of that.

Tim