chflags "archived" flag?

Don Read dread at texas.net
Thu Apr 17 02:29:36 PDT 2003

On 17-Apr-2003 Paul M. Lambert wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Don Read wrote:
>

>> On 17-Apr-2003 Paul M. Lambert wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> > So, what am I missing?  What does it do?
>> >

>> man dump
>>

> % man dump | grep -i arch
> FreeBSD 4.6                      March 1, 2002
> FreeBSD 4.6
>
> The only mention in the man page for dump of any flag is the SF_NODUMP
> flag, which means "don't dump this."  It's ignored for a dump of
> level 0 by default...
>
> So what does the _ARCHIVED_ flag do?
>
> --plambert

My mistake.
Most of my boxes are SysV, where dump sets the archive bit as each file is
written to tape.

greping thru FreeBSD dump gets zilich.

A 'find /usr/src -type f -exec grep ARCHIVED /dev/null {} \;' suggests only
contrb/tar fiddles with it.

Not what I expected.

Regards,
Don Read                                       dread at texas.net
-- It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you are going to
   steal the neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.