BIND qustionS

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 02:01:13 PDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:32:49PM -0700, Gary D Kline wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 09:15:41PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> > At 2003-04-17T00:51:40Z, Gary D Kline <kline at thought.org> writes:
> >
> > > After upgrading to BIND-9.2.2, I bumped into the following output message
> > > that I don't understand.
> >
> > Run `rndc-confgen' to generate the key (and a reasonable rndc.conf to go
> > with it).
>

> 	As roor I'm exec'd rndc-confgen (with various switches).  It
> 	seems to hang, or be sleeping.  Do you know what may be happening
> 	here?

It's trying to read some random data out of /dev/random, but your
system doesn't have enough sufficiently good entropic sources configured
that it can provide as much as rndc-confgen wants.

Take a look at:

    i) The '-r' option to rndc-confgen.  If you say:

        rndc-confgen -a -r keyboard

    randomness will be derived by your typing at the keyboard.

    ii) The rc.conf 'rand_irqs' variable and the the rndcontrol(8) man
    page.  To select some good IRQs to use as sources of randomness
    look at the 'systat -vmstat' display, specifically the table of
    interrupts on the right hand side.  Hint: the clk interrupt is no
    good for generating randomness as it fires at regular intervals.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way