I Created an Interesting Permission Problem.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Apr 16 07:32:31 PDT 2003

	I just added a new secondary drive to enlarge the /usr/home
file system and it is working as expected for the most part.  The part
that has me confused became apparent when a cron-driven script in one
of our user directories successfully ran but produced this warning:

mv: ./testfile: set owner/group (was: 1003/0): Operation not permitted

	The script did the following:  It created a file in /tmp and,
like any such file, it's ownership looks like owner:wheel.  If you mv
that file back to your user directory, the mv used to happen silently
but still retain the owner:wheel permissions.

	Now, I do get the file back in the user's directory with
permissions of owner:owner instead of owner:wheel and I get that
warning.

	I figure it might be in the way I mounted /usr/home

/dev/da1s1	/usr/home	ufs rw	2 2

or maybe I made some subtle change to /usr or /usr/home, but they look
like they do on every other FreeBSD system I can look at.

drwxr-xr-x  16 root   wheel      512 Mar 12 12:36 usr
drwxr-xr-x  28 root  wheel  1024 Apr 15 20:02 home

	What else might cause this change in behavior?

Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group