Looking for *reliable* low-power/heat solution with FBSD in mind

J. Seth Henry jshamlet at comcast.net
Wed Apr 16 07:02:55 PDT 2003

This isn't strictly on-topic, but I am hoping a few readers of this list
may have some experience in this area.

I currently have my home file server acting as a home automation system.
This works well, given the light load, but unfortunately the system has to
be physically located in a closet to perform this function. I have to take
great care, as the server is a dual P3 system, and gets quite warm. More
than once, I have been awaken by the thermal alarm system.

I would like to install a low power, quiet system that is still capable of
playing MP3/OGG audio, while handling the home automation tasks. This
would allow me to move the server to a more cool location, avoiding risk
of it overheating. Space isn't an issue, but I would like to keep it
small. The ITX and FlexATX boards are about the size I'm interested in.

The obvious thought was the VIA EPIA series mainboards. They are fanless
in many configurations, powerful enough to play MP3 audio, and some are
even capable of DVD video (though I'm not interested in that for this
system). They also use very little power, most being powered by laptop
style PSU's - which bodes well for UPS battery time.

If those don't cut it, I'm also looking at the shuttle boxes, as they are
still small, but use more "standard" components. They are
vast overkill for this application, but reliability is key. Unfortunately,
they also draw more power, meaning a shorter UPS battery life.

The question is, does anyone know how reliable these systems are under
FreeBSD, or even in general? I don't want my HA controller going down
randomly, for hopefully obvious reasons. Also, does anyone have any
recommendations for a similar system?

I would prefer to stick with FreeBSD because I know the operating system
fairly well, and because all my other systems are running it. I'd prefer
to keep the network as homogenous as possible (with the only notable
exception being my "game" machine)

I know that this may seem like a "google" question, but I am looking for
real-world thoughts, not sales pitches. This system will need to be up
24x7 nearly all year (save for maintenance and patches). If anyone has, or
knows about, a favorite piece of gear that fits these requirements, I'd
love to hear about it.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Seth Henry