License questions

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Apr 16 06:57:24 PDT 2003

Socketd wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:23:26 -0400
> Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
>>>My question is, can I use libraries like dbconnect, common c++, gtkzthread
>> > (which are all under the GPL or LGPL) to make closed-source, commercial
>> > software?
>>
>>Maybe.  You can do it with LGPL, but not with GPL.  Not being able to _every_
>>create closed-source software from GPLed stuff is a fundamental precept of
>>the GPL.
>
> Ok, just wanted to make sure that GPL included software using the libraries
 > and not just the libraries themself.

This is the "virus nature" that many have accused the GPL of having.

Keep in mind that the LGPL is different, and you may be able to closed-source
programs that use libraries under the LGPL.
Again ... I suggest you consult a lawyer ... things can get pretty complicated
and problematic.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies