Dynamic IP Web Server

Peter Elsner peter at servplex.com
Wed Apr 16 06:17:59 PDT 2003

I did this for our customers that run FreeBSD...

We host their Dynamic DNS for them.  I wrote 2 Perl scripts (a client and a
server).

The server side runs on my system updating the db.zone files and sending an
ndc reload <zonename>
if changes were made.  (it monitors a directory on my system for updates).

This runs every 5 minutes via CRON.

On the client side, I simply call ifconfig -L <device name> (tun0, sis0,
rl0, etc...), and
obtain the line with inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  in it.  I then strip out
everything except the
ip address.  Then save that to a text file.  This script runs every 20
minutes (or as desired),
and if the address has changed, sends it to my server and places it in the
aforementioned
directory.

This has worked flawlessly for me now for over 2 years...

Peter

At 07:40 PM 4/15/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I cheched dns2go, but they require Windows! and I want to use Freebsd

Peter Elsner <peter at servplex.com>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
1835 S. Carrier Parkway
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
(972) 263-2080 - Voice
(972) 263-2082 - Fax
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
(425) 988-8061 - eFax

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry
that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
-- Mike Godwin

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.
System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.
If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me.

Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.