FTP gone Slow

Gavin Kenny gavinkenny at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 05:40:29 PDT 2003

 --- Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote: >
Gavin Kenny wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I have been running FBSD4.4 quite happily for a
> while
> > now and I have recently got this problem.
> >
> > When I FTP into my box it connects fine but then
> takes
> > ages before I get a login prompt.
> >
> > It never used to do this, the login prompt used to
> be
> > instantaneous.
> >
> > Any ideas what I have done to mess this up?
>
> Have you done any diagnostic testing at all?  I know
> you didn't
> do any searching, as this is discussed on this list
> alone about
> every two weeks and you would have found it if you'd
> searched
> google.
>
> My first guess would be that your reverse DNS broke
> at some point.
> Generally what happens, is that the FTP daemon is
> waiting for an
> RDNS request to return so it has a hostname to put
> in the logs.  If
> the RDNS is broken, it waits until timeout (30 sec
> is the norm I
> believe) before logging you in.
>
> Easy way to find out if this is the problem is the
> host command.
> host 55.55.55.55
> (substitute your IP address for 55.55.55.55)
> If you don't get a hostname, this is likely to be
> the problem.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Potential Technologies
> http://www.potentialtech.com

Apologies, I was being lazy, you are right I had
better do some searching.

I am not running DNS (it is just a little network I
use to develop on, and I ftp the IP address to move SW
about) it is strange as the other machines work just
fine. This one has a problem.

thanks for your help

Gavin

I think you are right, it is definitly a timeout