The chicken and the OpenSSL

Jack L. Stone jackstone at sage-one.net
Tue Apr 15 16:31:56 PDT 2003

At 03:28 PM 4.15.2003 -0700, Jim Mock wrote:
>On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, at 01:14  PM, Jack L. Stone wrote:

>>> cd /usr/ports/security/openssl && make -DOPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE
>>> install
>>
>> I have the same situation, but have already installed apache13-modssl
>> from ports which loads up openssl-0.9.7a okay when starting
>> Apache+mod_ssl. What whould be the effect of running Jim's "overwite"
>> of the old base openssl now at this stage to get down to the one
>> version...? Do I need to start over....??
>
>Good question.  I'm not really sure :-)  Your best bet is to probably
>try it out on a non-production box if you have one and see what
>happens.  At the very worst, you may have to rebuild mod_ssl after
>installing the OpenSSL port, but apache shouldn't have to be touched.
>
>- jim

But, the more I thought about it, by tracking RELENG_4_7, another problem
jumps up because until and unless the base system is updated with
openssl-0.9.7a, each update of the OS will put back the old version of
openssl, unless there is a line that can be placed in make.conf to avoid
that...??

At least at the moment, the system is loading the right version --
openssl-0.9.7a, so guess if it ain't broke....etc., etc.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net