/dev/...

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Tue Apr 15 15:44:36 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:01:13AM -0700 or thereabouts, Joshua Lokken seemed to write:
> * CARTER Anthony (a.carter at cordis.lu) wrote:
> ==> You have to be owner (not group owner) of the mount point from what I can work
> ==> out.
> ==>
> ==> Anthony
> ==>
> ==> On Tuesday 15 April 2003 08:58, Vladik Kozin wrote:
> ==> > > Hi! What if I'd like ordinary users to be able to mount /dev/fd0, for
> ==> > > instance, onto a common dir located in /mnt (/mnt/floppy)?
> ==> > > I made mkdir -m 755 /mnt/floppy as root. When I try to mount fd0 onto
> ==> > > this dir as an ordinary user I get "msdos: /dev/fd0: Operation not
> ==> > > permitted" while when doing the same onto a dir that this user owns
> ==> > > everything goes fine. _______________________________________________
> ==> >
> ==> > Of course I checked the FAQ & did everything as said there. Specifically:
> ==> > #su
> ==> > # sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1
> ==> > # chmod 666 /dev/fd0
> ==> > #mkdir -m 755 /mnt/floppy
> ==> > bash$ mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> mount: vfsload(msdos): Operation not permitted
>
> OK, we've seen the faq section on this, and two clear, plain examples of the
> exact procedure there not working properly.  Does anyone have any new, not
> rehashed, ideas of why this is?  Thanks.

Since it's erroring on the vfsload(whatever), I think it is trying to load the
msdosfs kld and failing. Try:
# kldload msdosfs
as root before you mount the FD as user.

This is a wild guess, take with a grain of salt.
YMMV.