Vinum crash, advice needed

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 15 02:08:51 PDT 2003

[redirected to FreeBSD-questions]

On Friday, 11 April 2003 at 20:12:04 -0400, tony wrote:
> FreeBSD tntpro.com 5.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE-p2 #2: Sat Feb 22
> 04:52:39 EST 2003     root at tntpro.com:/data/obj/data/src/sys/LUNAR  i386
>
> incase that is any help is needed
>
> I made an array out of 3 IBM 20 gigs and 3 Maxtor 20 gigs
> I used striping to make one big drive
> A couple of days ago I was copying a movie onto to it and the computer
> decided to reboot
> when it came back up I was greeted with this message
> Can someone please tell me if I can recover some how? or should I just
> rebuild the array? or is one of my disks physically bad?
>
> Detects all 7 drives (1 10gig plus 6 20gigs)
>
> vinum: loaded
> vinum: reading configuration from /dev/ad6s1e
> vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad5s1e
> vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad4s1e
> vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad2s1e
> vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad3s1e
> vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad1s1e
> Warning: defective objects
>
> P array.p0		S State: corrupt  Subdisks:	6 Size:	111 GB
> S array.po.s4	  State: stale	D: d5		  Size:	 18 GB
> swapon: adding /dev/ad0s1b as swap device
> Starting file system checks:
>
> ETC ETC ETC
>
> and it goes on to say that it can't mount my array and that it needs help
>
> So does this mean that my array is dead? are any of the disks faulty?

It's difficult to say from that information.  The man page gives a
number of hints about solving Vinum problems.  So does
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html.  In this case it would
be interesting to see what was in the log files.  On the face of it,
it looks as if a disk drive has died.  If not, there are tricks you
can use to recover them.  They're tricks because they bypass
consistency checking: part of your volume has died, and there's no way
to make it completely consistent again.

Greg