Question on video cards...

Wade Majors wade at ezri.org
Mon Apr 14 19:22:33 PDT 2003

John Wilson wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I'm currently in the process of building a new machine based on the
> Intel D845PEBT2.  As far as I can tell, the integrated Ethernet is
> supported in the fxp driver.  Can anyone who is running this board
> confirm that the integrated NIC is indeed recognized?

Networking will work fine, though I am not sure how well audio will work.

> Second, I was hoping that someone could possibly suggest a decent
> 4x AGP video card.  My main concern is playing back DVD's. :)  Preferably
> something in to 50-100 dollar range.  With all the choices available, it's
> hard to determine what is and is not supported.  Suggestions would be
> most welcomed.

I am using an ATI Radeon 9000, which was about $90 when I got it. It
works very well under XFree86-4.3 and DRI (FreeBSD-5). There are 9100's
and 9200's now but I don't know how well the will work (I believe they
are the same chip but XFree86 and DRI might not know about it's IDs
yet). Then again the 9000's are probably even cheaper now.

-Wade