how to hide symlink'd dir

David Smithson david at customfilmeffects.com
Mon Apr 14 16:51:23 PDT 2003

Hi all.  Long time no correspond.  FreeBSD rocks and so on ...

Previous to my system take-over here at work, user's blindly created
ill-named files and folders.  One thing that really bugs me is the
liberal use of spaces in file and folder names.  Though they are legal
and useable in modern systems, I still don't like them.  One such folder
is a key access point that is referred to machine-wise in various
projects.  It is called "Scans In".  I wanted to slowly ween users off
of the "Scans In" folder, yet sustain compatibility in old projects, so
I renamed "Scans In" to "Scans_In" and created a symlink to "Scans_In"
called "Scans In".  Now I want to make the "Scans In" folder invisible
and accessible.  The parent dir is shared via Samba 2.2.7a on FBSD5.

Is this possible given that symlinks have no flags?

If so, how do I make this work?

Thanks so much for your time.

--
David Smithson